Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:33 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:26 am 
Site Admin

According to http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php?title=OpenLink you will probably have overwritten a working su.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:08 am 
Site Admin

mindbender, why is the script using "su - root"?!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:42 am 
Site Admin

because i prepared a variable for using a different user.

root is just the default one. same as without su.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:15 am 

andre wrote:
According to http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php?title=OpenLink you will probably have overwritten a working su.

Thanks Andre. I belatedly realized I'd overwritten su by blindly following the wizd wiki. I put it down to me being old, reitred and definitely past it:) Unfortunately, I've only got the one LS2, and a copy of su from an LS1 is unlikely to work. Not to worry as the wizd system works and my LS2 is now a dedicated media server and NAS device.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to link from wizd to the media directory on the LS1 which runs firefly and contains my audio files -- any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:50 am 
Site Admin

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php?title=Wizd_-_A_Media_Server_for_Syabas_based_players should contain a note so LS2 users are not mislead.

As to your networking question, use smbfs, nfs, or the like, to connect LS1 and LS2.

Are you saying you don't need further LS2 help? Disregard the following ;)

Edit mindbender's /etc/init.d/wizd to:

#! /bin/sh
export USER="root"
NAME=wizd
INSTALLEDPATH=/mnt/local/mediaserver/wizd
start()
{
cd ${INSTALLEDPATH} && ./wizd -d
}
stop()
{
/sbin/killall -15 wizd
sleep 5
}
case "$1" in
start)
echo -n "Starting Wizd: "
start
;;
stop)
echo -n "Stopping Wizd "
stop
;;
restart)
echo -n "Restarting Wizd "
stop
start
;;
*)
echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/$NAME {start|stop|restart}"
exit 1
;;
esac
exit 0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:48 am 

Thanks for the heads up about using smbfs or nfs to facilitate access between to the LS1 and LS2. More reading required!!

I had already edited the wizd startup file to look similar to yours. I think I have the LS2 implementation of wizd cracked, so unless you're of aware of the location of a copy of su for the LS2 I am indeed all done with LS2 help.

In fact I've been implementing SwissCenter on my Freecom FSG-3 to see how it compares with wizd on the LS2. Gut feel tells me it will be much slower although the user interface may be nicer.

Did you want me to edit the wiki entry for wizd assuming I have the required privilege?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

starfighter wrote:
Did you want me to edit the wiki entry for wizd assuming I have the required privilege?

99 % of all wiki pages are open even for anonymous edits...so no registering needed....

just hit the edit link at the top.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:23 am 

Andre/Mindbender

Changed the wiki entry for wizd as requested:-

1. Indicated that the installation of su is only required for the LS1. Although it may be required for other platforms the actual link in the wizd wiki entry refers to the ppc su code.

2. Split the download wizd section into an LS1 and LS2 variant as the wizd package downloaded is different.

3. Appended an "automaticly starting wizd on Boot" section (Courtesy of Mindbender). In my case untarring the downloaded wizd file did not automatically create the symlinks required to start wizd automatically.

Not done:

1. I have not replaced the wizd startup script because I don't know whether you are both agreed this is better approach.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that untarring the LS2 wizd package places a copy of wizd in /mnt/hda/opt/mediaserver/wizd not /mnt/local/mediaserver/wizd as the LS1 wizd package appears to do. The LS2 package approach is quite convenient as /mnt/hda/opt is accessible as a folder from Windows and you can use something like the Crimson Editor to modify wizd.conf without having to SSH to the LS and then use vi.