Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:18 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:35 am 

Hi All

After a bit of a struggle I've installed wizd on an LS2. I was thrown for a while by the wizd Wiki entry as the startup script didn't work. Perhaps the problem was something to do with the SU command, maybe its not suitable for the MIPS platform?

I can access wizd from a computer elsewhere on the lan via http://LS2:8004, however my Linktheater does not recognise that wizd is running. I have tried manually adding the LS2 wizd device to the Linktheater using <LS2 IP Address:8004> but it still does not work.

I am pretty sure that the Linktheater is not the problem. I installed wizd on a portable running XP and on a Freecom FSG-3 and the Linktheater sees both these installation without any problem.

I'm stumped. Unfortuntely I'm completely new to linux and when something goes wrong need a clue, OK a big clue:) Could the problem be associated with the implementation of UpNP on the LS2? Does the wizd Wiki entry point to the right variants of libjpeg and libdvdread (although I can't see either of these affecting the UpNP functionality)? I can't see libupnp anywhere on the LS2, is an additional library file required or have I just done something wrong?

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Starfighter (Ian)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:49 am 

Hi Again

Found the problem: dumbo had used the wrong IP address for the LS2 on the Linktheater! My poor excuse is I have four LS's on the network, not that it makes me feel any smarter!

Having got it working I would like to start wizd automatically. I think I need to create a symlink to be located in rc.0 and rc.2 but don't know how to do that. Presumably the symlink needs to point to /etc/init.d/wizd is that right? How do you pass the start parameter using a symlink? There seem to be two unlinked pointers in rc0.d and rc2.d, namely k92wizd and s92wizd are these the ones that need to be linked to /etc/init.d/wizd?

One last question has anyone experienced problems playing large mpegs? The reason I ask is because I got screen breakup playing a 1.7gb mpeg file?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:46 am 
Site Admin

before doing the following thing...why do you think that they are unlinked pointers?
post a
Code:
ls /etc/rc.d/rc2.d -al

this is how to do it manually.
OPENLINK
ln -s /etc/init.d/wizd /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K99wizd
ln -s /etc/init.d/wizd /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S99wizd
ln -s /etc/init.d/wizd /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/K99wizd

FREELINK
ln -s /etc/init.d/wizd /etc/rc0.d/K99wizd
ln -s /etc/init.d/wizd /etc/rc2.d/S99wizd
ln -s /etc/init.d/wizd /etc/rc2.d/K99wizd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:23 am 

Hi Mindbender

Thanks for getting back to me. I think the pointers are not linked because there is no -> from the relevant wizd links and I have to start wizd manually (if that makes sense). An abbreviated listing of ls - l /etc/rc.d/rc2.d shows

S92pcastd -> ../init.d/pcastd
S92wizd
S95mc_ctld -> ../init.d/mc_ct

I'm a little puzzled with the symlinks you suggest as there is no parameter attached i.e. start or stop. If you just issue /etc/init.d/wizd it provides you with the usage information. At least it does the way I have implemented the startup script which I amended from a Kuro-Box implementation I found somewhere on the web.

On a different topic is it be possible to use symlinks to refer to a location outside the current LS2 e.g. to another LS1 or LS2 elsewhere on the network? I tried putting something like /nas-1/music or /nas-1 ip addr/music in the wizd config file but that does not seem to work.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:39 am 
Site Admin

maybe S92wizd directly is a copy of the startscript?
open it with any editor and have a look!

starfighter wrote:
I'm a little puzzled with the symlinks you suggest as there is no parameter attached i.e. start or stop. If you just issue /etc/init.d/wizd it provides you with the usage information. At least it does the way I have implemented the startup script which I amended from a Kuro-Box implementation I found somewhere on the web.

thats the magic of runlevels. all startscripts linked from /etc/rc.d/rc2.d automatically are invoked with the option "start"...if they start with an S! and they are executed with "stop" if they start with an K!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:09 pm 
Betatester

starfighter wrote:
Perhaps the problem was something to do with the SU command

wouldn't it ask you for a passwd to 'su root'?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:05 pm 

Thanks for the info on symlinks Mindbender. Your suggested symlinks worked a treat, so now I just have to fight my way through the remaining gremlins in this verion of wizd. The newer skins like simplicity don't work quite right as they fall over when you move to the second page. This version of wizd also seems to corrupt the video stream if the video file is to long. I suppose this could be a buffer overflow issue. The latest XP version of wizd works fine on the same files so this must be down to wizd.

In answer to your question regarding su: I downloaded and installed the su.html file from the wiki, but when you try to use it with the startup script it produces an error:

/etc/init.d/wizd start
Starting Wizd: /etc/init.d/wizd: /bin/su: cannot execute binary file

Issuing su alone did not prompt for a password. I originally thought that su.html might be corrupted so downloaded it again, but when I got the same error I hard coded the startup script. I tacitly assumed that the wiki entry was targetted at the LS1 and that mybe the su.html script didn't run properly on the mips processor in the LS2.

Thanks for your help. Very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Could you please post a URL to the mentioned "su.html"?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:25 pm 

Sorry I missed your question concerning S9wizd. I tried removing it but get the message No such file or directory.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:13 pm 

Hi Mindbender

The link to su.html I used is the one on the wiki page for wizd directly under step 4. http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php?title=Wizd_-_A_Media_Server_for_Syabas_based_players

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

well..there is no su.html.

su is a binary...it is something like an exe. you should have right klicken on the link and saved it as a file...then moved to the linkstation. but not pasting it somewhere.

or easier way: copy link and download it directly with wget on your linkstation.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:33 am 

Hi Mindbender

Sorry about the delay in responding I had an all day seminar yesterday. One can't download the link with wget because of the brackets in the web address. I followed the procedure in the wiki and saved the page as su.html then just copied it to the LS2 using cp /mnt/share/su.htm /bin/su The one one thing I did notice is that the html address in the wiki maps to http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download/uploads/LS1-HG-HS(PPC)/su which is why I suggested that the su code might not be suitable for the LS2 MIPS platform. Anyway I can manage without su by logging in to the box as root.

I was wrong, as it looks like wizd does not corrupt long video streams. The problems seems to be related to the firmware issue level I had installed on the LinkTheater. I have two LinkTheaters and large files play on the older firmware without a problem.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:40 am 
Site Admin

Ian, there are many files and many pages at this site. If you want anyone to help you, you've got to provide links to the ones you're referring to. "the html address in the wiki maps to" won't get anyone anywhere. Hope you don't mind!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:52 am 

Hi Andre

My comment refers to the wizd wiki entry and its reference to a file for su, which is clear if you follow the context of the discussion.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:07 am 

Hi Mindbender

Just to finish this topic off. The su file referred to in the wizd wiki entry produces the following error when issued on an LS2:

su root
bash: /bin/su: cannot execute binary file

Thanks for all your assistance, very much appreciated, indeed.