Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:11 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:35 am 

Hi!

As noted elsewhere, I compiled busybox 1.2.1 and am currently thinking about how to package this. I compiled it static (/bin/busybox is thus ~2.9M) and have enabled (close to) all "applets".

Packaging all of this isn't a problem, but I wonder what it should provide. If I compare what's on the system and what bb could provide, there are LOT of things, which already exist and which are not from bb. Things like:

/bin/false
/bin/grep
/bin/netstat
/bin/ping
/sbin/fdisk
/sbin/halt
/usr/sbin/chroot

etc.pp.

I'm unsure if I really should make my busybox package provide all of this.

You can find a file list of what busybox could provide at http://askwar.pastebin.ca/142266 - it's too large to paste it here... :p

Regards,
Alexander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:48 am 
Site Admin

in my opinion we should use the normal gnu stuff for the basic stuff. coreutils and so on. this would need more diskspace, but the full functionality would be there.

i want to use busybox for stuff that is really ok where only senseless options are missing. in fact i want to use busybox to implement some additional and usefull stuff like etherwake, dnsd and so on.

these commands for example are missing.

but i was in the same position....i have no clue which are needed as full versions and which are not.

...is cpio working with the newer busybox?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:46 am 

mindbender wrote:
in my opinion we should use the normal gnu stuff for the basic stuff. coreutils and so on. this would need more diskspace, but the full functionality would be there.

ACK. Makes sense. But I'd still think, that it would be a good idea to compile bb with all the options - reason: bb can then be used as a rescue system.

Quote:
i want to use busybox for stuff that is really ok where only senseless options are missing. in fact i want to use busybox to implement some additional and usefull stuff like etherwake, dnsd and so on.

these commands for example are missing.

True. dnsd is missing. I don't need it ;) My LS2 is not going to be a DNS server; my WLAN router does that. And because I don't like enabling "server options" when they are not needed, I didn't enable this. But I can of course enable it.

What about telnetd? IMO, this might make sense, as this could do away the need to install another package to provide a telnet server (like utelnet).

Quote:
but i was in the same position....i have no clue which are needed as full versions and which are not.

Yep. It's sort of a "strategic decision". For example, should bb also provide /sbin/init? If so, would it be used? It might make sense to have bb provide init, because this way, yet another package can be dumped. Or e2fsck. Or. or. or...

Quote:
...is cpio working with the newer busybox?

No. bb still only provides a "extract-only" cpio. The bb cpio cannot be used to create cpio archives.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

askwartemp wrote:
ACK. Makes sense. But I'd still think, that it would be a good idea to compile bb with all the options - reason: bb can then be used as a rescue system.

i agree.

askwartemp wrote:
And because I don't like enabling "server options" when they are not needed, I didn't enable this. But I can of course enable it.

i would enable it....as long as noone breaks into your LS it would make no harm.....also they do not use much diskspace.
i will also provide a full featured busybox 1.2.1...we can controll it via adding/deleting symlinks.

askwartemp wrote:
What about telnetd? IMO, this might make sense, as this could do away the need to install another package to provide a telnet server (like utelnet).

do it. i also compiled it a week ago with nearly all options. add telnet also...then you can telnet away from your LS. ftpput is also very usefull...i noticed that when i uploaded the LS pro GPL yesterday to the downloadsection.....i never thought of using the LS for uploading....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:22 pm 

askwartemp wrote:

it seems to make sense this way to have the basic openlink distro be a contained fully functional system

regarding the other thread, does ipkg delete the symlinks and recreate them based on package installation? (ie with GNU utils?)
so as not to destroy what busybox had done before??
-KP

LinkStation HG *250 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Freelink
Kuro HG *750 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Debian Squeeze
Kuro HD *60 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Debian Squeeze (For Sale)
KuroPro *2TB Debian Lenny Armel- Kernel 2.6.26
KuroPro *1TB Debian Lenny Armel- Kernel 2.6.25.6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:46 pm 

ramuk wrote:
it seems to make sense this way to have the basic openlink distro be a contained fully functional system

Yes. What I was trying to say - should all of the functions really be provided by busybox? Should openlink rely on busybox to provide init, to provide cron, to provide syslog, to provide httpd, to provide ... or would openlink use specialized tools for this? If so, then I would say that these functions should NOT be enabled, as it's IMO bad to have unnecessary "cruft". It opens up the system to potential security holes - the more code there is, the more likely it is, that there are holes, even if they are not (yet?) discovered.

Quote:
regarding the other thread, does ipkg delete the symlinks and recreate them based on package installation? (ie with GNU utils?)
so as not to destroy what busybox had done before??
-KP

Yes, I undo what I did. I don't remove (as in delete) /bin/cpio but rename it. In the postrm script, I re-rename /bin/cpio, so that there's a /bin/cpio after the cpio ipk has been removed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

Scrap it. This is small and cute. We have loads of disk space and do not require cut-down packaged utils such as this. I agree with the above statement of not wanting to introduce untried and tested code. We need to be careful with openlink and not make this update get too bloated. This should be a stepping stone to Freelink, I believe. My opionion only and hopefully will not upset others.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

lb_worm wrote:
Scrap it. This is small and cute. We have loads of disk space and do not require cut-down packaged utils such as this. I agree with the above statement of not wanting to introduce untried and tested code. We need to be careful with openlink and not make this update get too bloated. This should be a stepping stone to Freelink, I believe. My opionion only and hopefully will not upset others.

as i already said i want to move most of the stuff to real gnu stuff. it will be the better way. busybox is nice, but andre had enough problems with it in my opinion. i also think that there is enough space.

we can use of /mnt/ as well with symlinks....so i see no problem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:11 am 
Site Admin

Good plan. The GNU code is better (busybox has been re-written to reduce code size) and has better support.