Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:09 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next

Proposed Domain Names
Poll ended at Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:00 pm
forum.linkstationwiki.net & downloads.linkstationwiki.net 20%  20%  [ 29 ]
forum.buffalo.nas-central.org & downloads.buffalo.nas-central.org 72%  72%  [ 105 ]
something else 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
indifferent 6%  6%  [ 9 ]
Total votes: 145
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:11 am 

In the beginning there were separate domains and separate wiki / forums for that info.
Now, the info had been consolidated into one wiki / forum, but why do we need to
consolidate the domains??? This seems pointless?

Just keep the domains as they were, but all point to the same server's wiki, hosted at
nas-central.org under some Buffalo Centric subdomain or subfolder or whatever (<melco-nas>)

so linkstationwiki.net gets you to nas-central.org/<melco-nas>/wiki
and kurobox.com gets you to nas-central.org/<melco-nas>/wiki
and terastation.org gets you to nas-central.org/<melco-nas>/wiki

Every one comes to the consolidate site via their "idenity" domain (which ever one they like),
but end up at this great consolidated wiki / forum.

Just put some text at the top of the forum / wiki to let users know the wealth of info which presides there:

Welcome to Buffalo Centric wiki <forum> @ NAS-Central
The Epicenter of Buffalo / Revogear NAS Hacking
The combined KURO BOX, LinkStation, and TeraStation wiki that anyone can edit

ltk-united.org :down:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:47 pm 

personally not in favor of ltk-united.org. i like, kurobox.nas-central.org, terastation.nas-central.org, linkstation.nas-central.org, etc. i also like the idea of ppc.nas-central.org, mips.nas-central.org, arm.nas-central.org, etc, though i can see how new comers could get lost lacking basic knowledge about the hardware of their product, though i think this could be addressed with a simple chart of product and their corresponding hardware and domain/sub domain on the main page.

*OT another idea i had was to pool "universal information" at the nas-central.org domain, rather than have x number of articles that explain how to do linux specific operations (basic commands) and things like setting up samba, ssh, apache, sql (common applications). when ever possible. if this is unrealistic or already in the works then ignore this OT*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:10 am 

I'm a Kurobox user & have found the forum on kurobox.com to be incredibly useful.

When nas-central.org popped up, I took note, but didn't linger. I found the differentiation between
[ LS1 / Kurobox HD ] and [ LS HG / LS HS / Kurbox HG ] to be confusing. Much of the information is relevant to both forums. The hardware is not, after all, that different.

However, I think the nas-central.org domain name is great. as long as it remains easy to navigate (e.g. i can click on 'kurobox' or 'linkstation' and find the relevant wiki and forums) then I am happy. As long as i can find what i'm looking for without difficulty, then all is good.

I say, keep nas-central.org
use clear subdomains (like linkstation.nas-central.org and kurobox.nas-central.org)
Maintain a simple and clear hierarchy that is reflected in the wiki, forums, and subdomain names.

-Greg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:24 am 
Site Admin

jonli447, mindbender, ramuk, kuroguy, andre, timtim & all...

my own priorities are, in order:

1. preserve quality of the community in both social and intellectual senses
2. all old/current users/members can find us easily as they always did and find their way to a recognizable site, feel like 'home', if possible
3. the name must be easy to remember and highly associative/identifiable/unmistakeable - so that it is a magnet for new users/folks seeking solutions
4. lay a groundwork for growth and/or the future

If those goals are all met, I will be happy and whatever the name is will be of little consequence, as long as

linkstationwiki.net

still leads me here... even by symlink...

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:27 am 

waite wrote:
Regarding Buffalo devices, I say buffalo.nas-central.org is great.
So people who want to work on buffalo stuff lets focus on getting that in shape.

You know as long as the kuro guys are OK falling under the "Buffalo" brand (after all we really are splitting hairs Melco kind of *is* Buffalo) I think buffalo.nas-central.org would work OK for us.
I don't know what you'd name the forum, I really don't think the forum should do anything but Linkstation Kurobox and Terastation threads. Other people can start their own forums and mailing lists if they want.

LinkStation HG *250 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Freelink
Kuro HG *750 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Debian Squeeze
Kuro HD *60 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Debian Squeeze (For Sale)
KuroPro *2TB Debian Lenny Armel- Kernel 2.6.26
KuroPro *1TB Debian Lenny Armel- Kernel 2.6.25.6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:36 am 

I really don't have a problem with using nas-central.org as a central focusing point...of course, I'm a newer member (a year or so), thus maybe I'm not as deeply focused on the need for everything to tied to Buffalo/Kuro.

I like several people's suggestion to keep the specific domains tied to each box and link to them from nas-central.org.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:04 am 
Site Admin

ok guys...this posting is really hard to read but i tried to sum up some things from the postings here and in the end i used colors to make it a little better readable. please notice that i try to see everything from a broader perspective.
just4info: the colors have no meaning.

some general facts:
1) <vendor>.nas-central.org will continue to exist regardless what we decide here. the idea behind this general place is a good one.
it is a seperate entity that i brought to life by just creating the wikis and subdomains and linking them together. unfortunately i was a bit too fast and just moved the old linkstationwiki.net wiki to buffalo.nas-central.org. i should have kept it seperate like nslu2-linux.org to avoid all this here. i should have left linkstationwiki.net initially and then let the community decide what we should do. (again i am sorry about that but we try our best to fix that now)
2) <vendor>.nas-central.org was started by me but it is targeted to be a shared project later...but completely seperate from nslu2-linux.org and the linkstation/terastation/kurobox-hacking community. the nslu2-linux.org community will be the biggest contributors in this early stage because there is much info regarding several nas-devices at nslu2-linux.org that is out of place there (considering the domain name which focuses on one device only)
3) <vendor>.nas-central.org definitely will be a user-magnet. it will grow pretty much in the future.
4) buffalo.nas-central.org itself does not work for both the kuroboxes and the linkstations/terastations. EDIT: actually it does!
5) the manufacturer behind Buffalo Technology (Linkstations/Terastations) and Revogear (Kuroboxes) is Melco. Just give
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melco
a glance. EDIT: revogear is the daughter of buffalo technology.
6) the current buffalo-nas-device-based forum here should definitely moved away to somewhere where it should be. it should moved to forum.<new-place-for-the-wiki> ..... we can create a general forum for all other devices at forum.nas-central.org. the point is that we do not start to mix up new devices in a forum with 40000 buffalo-nas-device-based postings.

user-opinions regarding the buffalo.nas-central.org/linkstationwiki.net-problem:

7) ltk-united.org or similar seems to be a pretty bad choice for most users. just look at the poll.
8) *.nas-central.org is a magnet for new users....you can see that because all users that accept nas-central.org are pretty new users. so for those this is no problem.
9) old users have a strange feeling because linkstationwiki.net was a community with clear borders. buffalo.nas-central.org is just a part of something bigger and they feel bad because of loss of identity. but even some of you accepted buffalo.nas-central.org as long as things like forum are totally kept seperate from the rest. as i call myself an old user i totally agree with that.

Possible Solutions:
a) (1) & (2) & (3) do not need to be commented as nas-central.org and <vendor>.nas-central.org in a whole is something that was already needed for years. a central place for nas-hacking where experts can help each other by writing general articles, that was my vision.
b) (7) + the vote clearly suggest that we should not move to a cryptic domain.
c) (4) & (5) suggest that buffalo.nas-central.org is inappropiate. (8) means that new users are flexible and (9) means that old users agree to buffalo.nas-central.org to a certain degree. it was not the best idea to use buffalo.nas-central.org for a terastation/linkstation/kurobox-wiki without asking....i do not want to do the same error twice, thats why we have these polls.

notice
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... robox_Wiki
which is already there.

6) & (9) suggests that we should split the main things (downloadsection and forum) away from forum.nas-central.org / downloads.nas-central.org to the new place...

MY OPINION:
In case there are no objections i would suggest to start a different poll (maybe in this thread) which asks if buffalo.nas-central.org or a seperate domain should be used (which means breaking away from nas-central.org). linkstationwiki.net is misleading because of the kurobox-problem mentioned at 4). the earlier we agree on something the sooner we have our community home again. suggestions before we create such a poll are welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:03 pm 

melco.nas-central.org works for me! :)

Daniel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:08 pm 

Mindbender,

Hope you had a good weekend snowboarding ;-).

buffalo.nas-central.org works for me and some of the Kuro guys don't mind it either.
melco.nas-central.org is probably fine as well, we just need to make sure that people can identify what melco is! There aren't many people who would know that they should search for melco if they've got e.g. linkstation.
If the wiki, forums and google search can show melco.nas-central.org when people are looking for buffalo, kuro, linkstation, terrastation, kurobox, ppc and arm pretty much everybody shold be happpy....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:27 pm 

Hi Mindbender

Quote:
the manufacturer behind Buffalo Technology (Linkstations/Terastations) and Revogear (Kuroboxes) is Melco.

Please be careful with that comparison. Melco is the Holding, Buffalo is the Brand name. If you mix Melco and Buffalo there would be some additional confusion because only few people know that Melco <-> Buffalo stuff.

E.g. if somebody would search for Mercedes-Benz than he would be a little confused if he gets info about Daimler cars :roll:
(Brand names here are only for explanation purpose!)

Cheers
Joergl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:51 pm 

Given a choice between melco.nas-central.org and buffalo.nas-central.org, I would choose Buffalo. While Melco may be more technically accurate, I had no clue who Melco is, and without someone being available to tell me, would never have even considered using it as a search term. Even though I knew nothing about Melco when I bought my Kurobox, it was always clear to me that Kurobox was a Buffalo product being sold under a Revogear brand. My first exposure to the Melco name was found here, after creation of nas-central. Until reading mindbender's post above, I wasn't aware it was related to my Kurobox at all. If you do end up using Melco, I am sure I can adapt, but it feels like loss of identity to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:48 pm 

krassonkel wrote:
Why don't you use nas-central.org as the portal to specific subdomains?
just buffalo.nas-central.org and so on? the kurobox.com, linkstationwiki.net etc may redirect there...

in my opinion ltk-united sounds not only confusing but also is in no way remarkable and connectable to these devices!
no one will think of NASs when reading "ltk"... the other SEO-domains won't help there...

just IMHO...

x2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:33 pm 

why not start a new poll?

1) melco.nas-central.org
2) buffalo.nas-central.org
3) linkstation.nas-central.org, kurobox.nas-central.org, terastation.nas-central.org
4) linkstation.nas-central.org (includes kurobox), terastation.nas-central.org
5) i don't like any of those, let's keep looking something better (please post your ideas)

may the best(3) sub domain win. i pray for no hanging chads...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

ok, for the record (and in case we start a new poll soon) here is the old result:
Attachment:
File comment: ltk-united.org poll
ltk-united-poll.jpg
ltk-united-poll.jpg [ 13.78 KiB | Viewed 2795 times ]

so in case we start a new poll some more infos:

1) linkstation.nas-central.org / kurobox.nas-central.org / terastation.nas-central.org
a) that would break the <vendor>.nas-central.org scheme
b) that would kill weeks of work of several guys here which merged the 3 wikis together.

if possible leave this 3 together.

2) melco.nas-central.org
actually i still prefer buffalo.nas-central.org...but exactly that domain caused all this problems....i personally see no real difference between buffalo and revogear...

btw i just noticed this page:
http://www.revogear.com/aboutus.asp
Quote:
Revolution by Buffalo is a product division of Buffalo Technology (USA), Inc. Launched in 2004, Revolution offers the innovative Kuro Box NAS Assembly Kit to allow the community at large an affordable environment for Linux development. If you're still not sure what a KuroBox is, please visit KuroBox.com to get some answers.

so it seems that buffalo.nas-central.org seems to be the right naming.

EDIT: actually i am primarily not discussing about the wiki itself. the forum and the downloadsection are the main problem. linkstationwiki.net comes to my mind again for both maybe. both were there before.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:07 pm 

I like this place pretty much and I was so happy, that the content and community survived linkstationwiki.org times.
linkstationwiki.net was fine for me too and now I'm used to buffalo.nas-central.org as well.

With all these names, I can find a "link" to my linkstation, but not so with ltk-united.org or melco.nas-central.org.

Please stay with either buffalo.nas-central.org or linkstationwiki.net.

My proposal for Forum and Download:
forum.linkstationwiki.net
download.linkstationwiki.net

Those became more dedicated and the wiki can be kept open for other devices through <brand/vendor>.nas-central.org

Greetings from Tokyo.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next