Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:43 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next

Proposed Domain Names
Poll ended at Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:00 pm
forum.linkstationwiki.net & downloads.linkstationwiki.net 20%  20%  [ 29 ]
forum.buffalo.nas-central.org & downloads.buffalo.nas-central.org 72%  72%  [ 105 ]
something else 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
indifferent 6%  6%  [ 9 ]
Total votes: 145
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:01 pm 

waite wrote:
The communities can stay together and feed off of one another, and I am even ok with a common name, but I feel buffalo.nas-central.org is better than linkstation.nas-central.org

Agreed, I like that better too. I'm changing my vote from linkstation.nas-central.org to buffalo.nas-central.org. Am I allowed to do that? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:30 pm 

At the top of the thread it was made pretty clear that there is a strong desire to drop nas-central from the buffalo only hacking site and reserve it for the portal site. So if Buffalo is back in the running how about:

buffalo-nas.org
or
buffalo-nases.org

bringing in another suggestion:

buffalo-mods.org
buffalo-nas-mods.org

Zapping dashes there could be;

BuffaloNas.org # my favorite so far
BuffaloMods.org

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:59 pm 

Keep nas-central.org. It's a great domain name.

Sub-domains can hang off of it as appropriate.

If it turns out that other sub-communities don't thrive, then so be it: at least the infrastructure is there (on some level).

But if the work done one Buffalo/Kuro products is any example, I'd guess that other nas-hackers--of any brand--would be happy to have a home that is so well-associated.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:27 am 

it really sounds like a football team! liverpool teachers klub united.. yes i know thats not how you spell klub..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:29 am 
Site Admin

we already had this domain name discussion in the past and as we did not find a better name i came up with nas-central.org which we then registered in the end. i know that this domain name is great, the vendor independent subwikis are great, its the best domain regarding search engines. all the subwikis were born in my brain and so far they were installed by me. but nevertheless we have an identity problem here which i caused. now we want to fix that. with your input.

guys, notice that this poll mostly makes a difference for the forums and the downloadsection. the forums are the place where all the buffalo centric thing really happens. the downloadsection as well....it is totally buffalo centric (with some really small exceptions). thats why http://download.nas-central.org and http://forum.nas-central.org are totally inappropiate.

actually......and this might be an option for later....nas-central.org might have a general forum later......and it might have its own downloadsection....but we should not move a buffalo only forum with more than 44400 posts to a general nas-hacking forum. same for the downloadsection. its buffalo only...and that should not change. thats why we at least need to move the forums + downloadsection away from the current location. we wiki is only part of the problem.

off for snowboarding...cu on sunday.

PS: maybe we should at least add the option "Use buffalo.nas-central.org" or something similar for those that want to see forum.buffalo.nas-central.org and downloads.buffalo.nas-central.org instead of a new domain name?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:35 am 

Hi there,

First let me say that I really appreciate what are you guys doing. I know that it's not easy to juggle real life/job/school/girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband/mates/etc. and develop something like this. I know all that because I was a president of Linux User Group for 4 years... Where I am going with this is that as somebody already mentioned, it's not possible to please everyone. With such a diverse group of people there have to be compromises. Even if people don't agree on everything they still can cooperate on something and respect each other!

I'd like to make two points related to what's going on at the moment:
1. Looking at the original "WHAT'S GOING ON" topic, it seems to me that most of the people agree in principle with the expansion of the web site & cooperation with other communities. What I don't understand (unless I missed a topic/post somewhere) why suddenly <something>.nas-central.org or nas-central.org/<something> isn't an option? ltk-united, doesn't seem to be very popular option and most of the people who contributed to this topic seem to prefer nas-central.org (me including).

I am not sure why are some people afraid of losing the identity of the community. Nobody is going to lose his own identity and his/her contribution to the community will be visible & cherished & appreciated in the form of wiki pages and posts in forums! The identity of a community is made of all the members of the community. When new members join, the identity changes slightly. When two communities merge, each will lose part of it's identity and will gain part of the other. So, by staying a part of nas-central.org, something will be lost, but more can be (hopefully) gained.

2. On the other hand who the f*k cares what the domain name is? :shock: A community is only as good as people participating and wiki/forum is only as good as the content. I think that each project goes through 3 major phases:
expansion, consolidation and stagnation. It seems that last 6 months could be considered as expansion. However the content of the wiki is getting a bit dated and confusing for newcomers. So may be this would be a good time for consolidation. Instead of arguing about a domain name, we need to focus on the wiki pages and documentation and how-tos and see how we can improve them to help ourselves and to help new people...
To show that I am not only whining, I just want to say that I am happy to help!

Sorry that my rant is a bit long...

Robod

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:47 am 

Let's make nas-central.org work...

I don't think that changing the name to something completely new will improve anything, it'll just add to the confusion. Subdomains can work.

My 2 cents,
Daniel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:46 am 

I understand the apparent dilemma, but don't don't believe there is a true conflict. The community needs to both maintain its identity AND be a readily findable place for new members to discover. An easily rememberable domain that also identifies our area of interest is ideal.

nas-central.org is a great domain, appropriate for what we do, and will attract potential members.

linkstation.nas-central.org, kurobox.nas-central.org, terastation.nas-central.org, etc. (or nas-central.org/linkstation) can identify the specific area of interest. Similarly, the forum area can be shared.

I am much more interested in being able to easily get to information than I am whether the domain is shared with other communities... the more the merrier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:58 am 

I think it will be quite difficult to think of a good domain name that covers Linkstations, Terrastations and Kuroboxes. From what I understand Buffalo is apparently out because it doesn't cover Kuroboxes? Or is the direct association with the company name the problem?

Perhaps buffalo-revogear-wiki.org may work? Or buffalo-kurobox-wiki.org? Or buffalo-kurobox-nas.org? Maybe ltk-nas.org?

Anyway, like others here Im not a big fan of the ltk-united name. Its just too hard to decipher - and does sound like a football team as has been pointed out. Personally Id suggest sticking with nas-central if ltk-united is the only other choice. At least its clear that nas-central has something to do with network attached storage devices.

And on the issue of supporting other devices, my preference would probably be to focus on the buffalo devices, but I dont think that there will be too much of a problem if the site is structured in a way that clearly separates out information for each nas device. Even if the choice is made to stay buffalo centric I still think that nas-central is a serviceable name.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:08 am 

What about nasbox.org or nasboxes.org with the idea of using linkstaion.nasboxes.org?

Do you want to move away from nas-central because it has become associated with nas generally, or because the name implies nas generally (which my suggestion would as well)?

If the latter, I don't know that you will find a domain name that satisfies unless we can come up with something unifying for all three. I also like nasmods.org.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:17 am 
Total Newbie

Hi,
I am new here so of course I do not have all the background information on your community. Also, I came here because I had some information for a non Buffalo device and nowhere to put it. Since my (current) interest are for another, non Buffalo centric, my opinion is probably biased.

I was wondering, why is it so important that the community remains Buffalo Centric? Are you afraid that by opening yourselves to other devices people from the previous communities would leave? I mean, if your community is already pretty large, and people already use all the information in here, why would they leave this community for a smaller one?

I think that, as long as there is a good separation mechanism for the different vendors, and that it is clearly stated that you will carter to the needs of the Buffalo centric user first, you community would still thrive. Let's say that for the forum, section exist for each devices, or, there is a section for Buffalo and another for non Buffalo, even if the other sections are not used as much, they wouldn't affect the bigger part of the community, right?

For the wiki, is there some reason why you couldn't have buffalo.nas-central.org, kurobox.nas-central.org and linkstation.nas-central.org redirect to the same thing? I understand that for now these devices share the same guts, but, what would be the long term effect if the hardware from some of these devices would branch out/use other components?

Wikipedia does work for a lot of subjects while they are in no way related. If the articles on medicine are not updated as much as the ones on biology, the medical community does not "suffer" or disappear right?

Essentially, what I am asking is why would other, non buffalo centric user, "diminish" this community? What is the problem in expanding your identity? Are you afraid that there would be so much information that you wouldn't find anything anymore?

Anyway, I wish you would embrace other devices because I don't know where I could post the information I have about the Hammer device. Eventually, I guess that the information would "cross pollinate" as people get into higher function for each device and that's where the power of the masses would get leveraged. I don't know if you would get a good return on your time investment, but keep in mind that NASes are relatively new devices and that they will only get more popular as media server in the near future.

Even if you decide that you would rather keep it Buffalo centric, I can understand and I would respect that.

Thank you,
GotNas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:56 am 
Total Newbie

I like a subdued domain name: LTK-NAS.org would be ok. Also I would hope that TS-Live.org would be one of the SEO domain names.

Thanx
.-=RWW=-.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:36 am 

-> nasbox.org

-> nas-central.org

with manufacturer as prefix.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:12 am 

Ok and again I voted against ltk-united.org

My nomination goes to buffalo.nas-central.org
(linkstation.nas-central.org would be ok, too, or somethink like that... but subdomains are better than another domain name)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:55 am 

+1 for continuing to use subdomains off nas-central.org

If the problem is that buffalo.nas-central.org doesn't work for the kurobox owners, perhaps we just need to find a better subdomain, rather than coming up with a whole new TLD. nas-central.org is quite clear for new users - it is what it says. ltk-united is far too impenetrable - you shouldn't need a domain name explaining to you in my opinion.

BJPirt

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next