Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:38 am 
Developer

Well, I have no buffalo devices but I'm here ;) Ok Kuroboxes are Almost Linkstations ... :)
Anyway there are a lot of indivuduals that are making some wiki and trying to create a community. Helping them to host their knowledge in a secure place is good for everyone IMO. Moreover some of us have knowledge that they will be glad to share with other communities (Byron already did that with the QNAP TS209), and some guys from other communities will be more than helpfull here.
And, as new NAS devices are almost all based on Marvell's 88f5182 or 88f5281 SoC, an important part of the work could be used on several devices ! So I'm fully agree with creating a common place for various hacking communities ! I'll be pleased to help them if I can. Most of "active members" here are spending a part of their time to help others or devolopping something usefull for other people, so why not sharing with other communities ? In my point of view, it's not a competition !
About profitering stuff, you're talking about, I must admit that I don't understand that point ! I don't think that anyone here is doing what he's doing for money ! All donation are tracked and the money is used for community's good ...
Here is my point of view ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:46 am 
Site Admin

short comments to clarify some things:

1) i do not do anything for profit here. everything is voluntary and for the community.
actually doing so is totally against my personal profit as it consumes time. anyone saw any ads or something? but in case someone thinks that we are the extended support for buffalo itself: no, we haven`t received a single dollar/euro.....but i think the quality of our support here is tremendously better than the one from buffalo so we should get paid for it. if we ever get money from anyone it will directly go into the donations balance and i will tell you. i really posted everything on the donationspage...

2) noone ever said anything about mailing lists. i myself prefer forums..thats why i recommended frontalot to use a forum in the past and why we still have it here. i think mailing lists are great for developers-only...but there is no way of structuring. as we have several boxes based on several archs we need this.

3) i never intended to add new non-buffalo-related forums. i am quite sure the problem started to be there from moving the forum itself from forum.linkstationwiki.net to forum.nas-central.org. guys, a discussion would be nice if we should move the forum back to forum.linkstationwiki.net. i could do that within an hour or so, i would only need to execute a few sql queries for replacing the links again.....same for the downloadsection which is buffalo specific. i never intended to allow others to do something similar.

4) it is myself who thinks about helping other communities to start. everyone else does not need to do anything. the wiki is at buffalo.nas-central.org and the forum is here. as already mentioned this is only change in the bookmarks....nothing more. guys i just want that you all know that we went through really bad times with linkstationwiki.org/linkstationwiki.net....the community is very important to me.

5) regarding the ftp server: it stopped working from one day to the other. i did nothing. i really have no clue why it is not authenticating properly so i decided to turn it off until someone comes up with either offering to help or with an alternative.

6) Open Source IMHO means working together. regardless if expert or novice, most guys buy the NAS first and then check if there is a community or not. i do not want to hack other devices myself. the actual box specific hacking must be done by the guys who have the boxes. actually this is the tough stuff....analyzing the hardware, getting serial, kernel hacking, bootloader....i never planned to do that...... there are many experts out there...why is it so bad to help them starting up so they can contribute to the general wiki which helps us?

last but not least: the idea of a static portal page like ramuk suggested might be a good one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:08 pm 

Same with foonas.org - there is no profit made. There are ads on the foonas blog which are going in to the foonas pot (I won't cheapen the rest of the portal with them) - in fact I've pledged the existing adsense balance to the foonas.org pot. Of course we accept money/hardware donations for the project to pay for project overheads (sending devices around the world mostly atm), new hardware and donations to other projects, although we only took a few donations so far!

I should provide a donation breakdown perhaps like nas-central.org does for transparency possibly!

Click here for more information and donations

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

Here i am, 2 days late, but i'll have a quite simple opinion on this.

-Do not duplicate wikis or communities that already exist.
For example, if there's already a nslu2 device, we should just limit ourselves
to link to their main website address.

-Not forget that we are sharing our hosting with nslu2-linux. Make sure
they're up to date with this and agree to hosts new wikis for other devices.

-Only create new wikis for devices that do not already have a website; If they want
to move here by their own decision, then sure, let them move here.

-Whether you want to spend time on the other wikis is up to every individual.
But the cross-learning and proximity of the wikis could be good for everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:00 am 

mindbender wrote:
short comments to clarify some things:
last but not least: the idea of a static portal page like ramuk suggested might be a good one.

To this end I put together a page in the sandbox. Most of the logos came from wikipedia pages. However other images, or no images at all may be most appropriate in the end.

http://nas-central.org/index.php/Sandbox

LinkStation HG *250 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Freelink
Kuro HG *750 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Debian Squeeze
Kuro HD *60 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Debian Squeeze (For Sale)
KuroPro *2TB Debian Lenny Armel- Kernel 2.6.26
KuroPro *1TB Debian Lenny Armel- Kernel 2.6.25.6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:19 am 
Site Admin

i c you put a little time in that.

i just removed the link to this forum at the blog`s navbar here:
http://blog.nas-central.org

i will also test the sql queries to change all the internal links (back to forum.linkstationwiki.net) tomorrow on that forum:
http://forum.linkstationheaven.com/

if it works i will soon move back the live forum to forum.linkstationwiki.net ... then i only need to change the links in the buffalo wiki and everything should be back.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:14 am 
Developer

I think one of the problems we have is a conflict in how end users and developers view the site. For the end user all they want to know about is their NAS device and they will only know the manufacturer and model. For them I think the page ramuk designed is excellent, they can get to their wiki easily and for Buffalo users it is almost as if nas-central doesn't support other manufacturers.

For the developers however things are very different, the LS1 and Linkstation Pro each have a different architecture so the firmware for these devices is very different despite them both being made by the same manufacturer. But the TS-209 and the Linkstation Pro, made by QNAP and Buffalo respectively, support almost identical firmware. How should devices be supported in this case? Do we write two wiki articles that are identical except for the name of the file they download? Or does it go onto the nas-central generic wiki with the same instructions but a choice of files at the beginning?

I think things could be made clearer at the model level too. I see a lot of users in IRC that are trying to follow instructions for the wrong architecture. This is relatively easy to do because the end users have no idea what architecture they have and its all in the same wiki. I think http://wiki.dns323.info/ is a good example of how things could work a per device level, a simple heading "What can you get from here" and a choice of basic, experienced and advanced options.

Overall I think that it is the end user that we should be supporting first, so I agree with ramuk that it could be made simpler but I also completely support mindbender in his decision to create multiple wiki's. At the end of the day it is the end user that will benefit from having more choice and developers have somewhere to work with their chosen device.

I also agree that the forums should be kept Buffalo only until we can provide forums for users of other devices without adding confusion to Buffalo users. Some manufacturers such as QNAP already have very busy forums (http://forum.qnap.com/) but their wiki (http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Qnap_Turbostation) is hosted on a site for "test[ing] wiki ideas before you launch a full wiki". Really we should be encouraging the creator of that wiki to move to qnap.nas-central.org.

@ramuk's front page design: I would think about how users look at the page, I start from the centre and move out so to me HP is the most prominent (but maybe I'm just special). Also I'm assuming a lot of those wiki's don't have much content yet so maybe we should adjust the size of the images accordingly? (i.e. buffalo has the biggest logo because it is the best supported while most (all?) of the Western Digital devices run NetBSD its questionable whether they will ever be supported). Another thing, if a manufacturer.nas-central.org links to an article on nas-central.org, how does the user get back to their manufacturer website without clicking back?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:11 am 

bbradley wrote:
@ramuk's front page design: I would think about how users look at the page, I start from the centre and move out so to me HP is the most prominent (but maybe I'm just special). Also I'm assuming a lot of those wiki's don't have much content yet so maybe we should adjust the size of the images accordingly? (i.e. buffalo has the biggest logo because it is the best supported while most (all?) of the Western Digital devices run NetBSD its questionable whether they will ever be supported). Another thing, if a manufacturer.nas-central.org links to an article on nas-central.org, how does the user get back to their manufacturer website without clicking back?

Ok changed it more

we can simply pry out the HTML from something like this to use as a gateway page, that way logos can be hotlinks too

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

bbradley wrote:
Another thing, if a manufacturer.nas-central.org links to an article on nas-central.org, how does the user get back to their manufacturer website without clicking back?

unsolved problem. there might be no solution. clicking back is not that bad i think?

btw your comment was a very good one as you saw it from both perspectives...the user and the developer one. actually it is the developer perspective together with the fact that there are many devices out there based on the marvell orion design that got me to the opinion that something has to be done.

for example i never had an LS2 or ppc terastation...and i only had a arm9 terastation for a few days. actually i own a LS pro and a LS1....i already had to deal with 3 different archs and i helped LS2/Terastation guys although i never had the devices....

ramuk, the page already looks very nice now!

we should just put it at the frontpage of the wiki. the only thing missing would be a link to a wiki page about general rules maybe. but we could put that under that big box.

maybe we can add the 3 things from here somehow?

http://nas-central.org/index.php/Templa ... ide-Banner
http://nas-central.org/index.php/Templa ... viewBanner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:14 pm 

Hi All

Do we have an identification problem here? In former times LinkStationwiki.net or TeraStation.org were clearly bound to what everybody expected behind.
Now we have nas-central.org which could be seen as the central information storage for a huge variety of different NAS devices.

From my point of view both "identities" have their right to exist. I am a little bit sad about the disappearing of LinkStationwiki.net. But buffalo.nas-central.org is a good choice too if you know it.
nas-central.org is not bound to one manufacturer so this implements the home of more than one NAS.

BTW: why someone should have the need to click back to a Manufacturers site after visiting this site? ;)

Cheers from Munich Outback,
Joerg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:03 pm 

mindbender wrote:
we should just put it at the frontpage of the wiki. the only thing missing would be a link to a wiki page about general rules maybe. but we could put that under that big box.

maybe we can add the 3 things from here somehow?

http://nas-central.org/index.php/Templa ... viewBanner

Ok done

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

cool. like the mainpage much more now.

i added a link to the howto Category on the left and at the bottom right.
actually it should be the only category needed aside the category Stubs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:52 pm 

mindbender wrote:
cool. like the mainpage much more now.

i added a link to the howto Category on the left and at the bottom right.
actually it should be the only category needed aside the category Stubs.

A simpler default mediawiki skin for the "General Wiki" may also help such as:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Gallery_ ... imple_Skin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

installed skin and made default. how do you like it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:48 am 

mindbender wrote:
installed skin and made default. how do you like it?

not bad.. wish there was a way to get rid of "Main Page" at the top
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:FA ... e_title.3F

I changed the colors a bit to fit with the skin
may also be possible to allow images to be hotlinks.... not sure

edit:
one of these may do it....
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ImageLink
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:LinkedImage

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next