Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:27 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

hello guys!

You all noticed that we moved hosting to the new server at osuosl.org

Their first goal is to support open source..and therefore it is mandatory that we do not violate the GPL licence ourselves.

This of course also has some requirements....either we have to provide the sources for binaries/packages in the downloadsection or we need to remove them to be GPL compliant.

Sources can be uploaded to the user dirs, but i think we need to remove most of the stuff of the downloadsection as it is a mess there.

So...can everyone who has a user dir please check his dir and either upload the sources as a tarball or remove the stuff there?

most of the arm9-compiled stuff is obsolete now anyways because of the optware feed.

thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:38 pm 

Do we need to actually put the sources up where the binary is simply a PPC/MIPS/ARM compilation of generally available open source, or is a README referencing where the source is available from simply enough? Examples that occur to me are busybox, samba etc where the configuration files used to compile have been supplied but not the full source.

Also, what about the case where the binaries have been obtained ready to run from another source? Many of the PPC binaries I have made available have been taken direct from the Debian archives as ready to run packages, and I have wrapped an install script around them.

Finally what about patched firmware as in that case we typically do not have the source.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

agreed, that's my question as well ...

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

itimpi wrote:
Do we need to actually put the sources up where the binary is simply a PPC/MIPS/ARM compilation of generally available open source, or is a README referencing where the source is available from simply enough? Examples that occur to me are busybox, samba etc where the configuration files used to compile have been supplied but not the full source.

for all those things where we know which sourcecode was used this is easy. just provide it somewhere...either in a "sources" folder or in the same folder.
the best way to make everything obsolete is to finally create a special optware feed for the ppc boxes..openlink for the LS1 & HG and the terastations are binary compatible...so we would only need one feed. we already know that the feed for the Synology DS101G from http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Platforms works on the these boxes. we just need to finish it.....then 99 % of the binaries become obsolete.

itimpi wrote:
Also, what about the case where the binaries have been obtained ready to run from another source? Many of the PPC binaries I have made available have been taken direct from the Debian archives as ready to run packages, and I have wrapped an install script around them.

well, i think it would be no problem if you obtain the debian sourcepackages which were used to create the debian packages and then upload them. i know it might sound strange but we need to do that...or remove the packages.

itimpi wrote:
Finally what about patched firmware as in that case we typically do not have the source.

small changes are easy. if only telnet was added then the GPL sources can already be used for the telnet enabled firmwares....only the sources for the telnet binary are needed.

actually we need to try to setup some optware feeds for all the boxes in stock or stocklike condition (telnet enabled or openlink firmwares) for the ppc boxes and the LS2. when we have optware feeds then we do not need any binaries anymore in the downloadsection as 99.9 % of all stuff is already in the feed.

optware feeds is the possibility to provide packages for stock or stocklike firmwares. debian has its own package management, gentoo as well. foonas is the total replacement with its own package management.

so creating the optware feeds and removing all custom compiled stuff is a solution.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:59 am 
Site Admin

I cleaned out all my old junk and removed anything of the nature you where talking about. For convenience sake, is it still considered legit to upload, say, an image file (like the foonas image file that I put up for you) for short term availability?

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:27 am 
Site Admin

as a solution to solve this issue we will setup autobuilders for foonas...for all supported boxes + ipkg feeds.

also we plan to setup autobuilders for compiling things.

now would be the best time if someone would look at setting up an optware feed for the ppc boxes (not only for the openlinked ppc boxes, no we need it for the terastations as well so itimpi does not need his packages anymore. he can script the installation of the addons then)

bzhou wrote me this:
Quote:
here is some info regarding setting up optware feeds:
http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/bro ... atform.txt

See http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/bro ... q3armel.mk for example of how to download and place a binary toolchain.

Most effort will be spent on demoting packages not compiling for the feed once the hello-ipk builds. You can use ./scripts/report-broken.sh for that. The bootstrap automation is just the last step.

actually we need 2 optware feeds....one for the ppc boxes (as the LS kernel seems to work also on the terastation/terastation HS) and one for the LS2. the arm-range already is covered.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:37 am 
Site Admin

HG and Tera PPC kernels done right differ. So you would probably need three different feeds to get things right. I will try to get familiar with optware feeds.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:43 am 
Site Admin

thanks for the info andre.
well, but the ppc-LS and the ppc-tera feeds won`t differe too much....only the kernel is different, rest is the same....the only difference that comes to my mind is the different bootstrap.xsh script as the big hdd space is located at /mnt/array1 and not in /mnt/ ......in the bootstrap script a folder called /opt is created which is in reality in /mnt/opt or for the terastation /mnt/array1/opt so nobody runs out of space when installing some packages.

but the bootstrpscript is piece of cake when the rest is already done.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:12 pm 

Another minor difference is that on TeraStations the directory for normal mode start-up scripts is /etc/rc.d/rc3.d while on LinkStations it is /etc/rc.d/rc2.d. However that can easily be solved by setting up a symbolic link between them - probably in the same bit of script that locates the /opt folder correctly.