Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

Below are the disclaimer and "Terms and Conditions" for using software and documentation from the developer section. The wiki and forum versions cover the same things, but are just formatted differently. There is also a downloadable version that you can get at http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download/misc/disclaimer-terms-v1-1.zip

To signup for the Beta Testers Group, see this page: [url=http:/nas-central.org/index.php?title=BetaTesters]http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php?title=BetaTesters[/url]

@ramuk, we need to lock the disclaimer and terms section of the wiki page. Only admins/mods of the forum should be able to edit the disclaimer and terms.

Disclaimer (Forum Version 1.2)
Code:
DISLAIMER OF RISK 

THE USE OF ANY SOFTWARE OR DOCUMENTATION WITHIN THE DEVELOPER SECTION OF NAS-CENTRAL.ORG (FORMERLY LINKSTATIONWIKI.NET) COMMUNITY DOWNLOADS CONTAINS THE FOLLOWING RISKS:
1)   THE SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION MAY NOT BE FULLY TESTED AND THUS MAY NOT FUNCTION AS ADVERTISED.

2)   THE SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION MAY CAUSE THE BUFFALO LINKSTATION AND KUROBOX EQUIPMENT TO FAIL,  INCLUDING , BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
  a)   LINKSTATION AND KUROBOX EQUIPMENT MALFUNCTION.
  b)   LINKSTATION AND KUROBOX EQUIPMENT LOCKUPS.
  c)   LINKSTATION AND KUROBOX HARDWARE DAMAGE.
  d)   LINKSTATION AND KUROBOX OPERATING SYSTEM FAILURE.

3)   THE SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION MAY CAUSE ALL DATA ON THE BUFFALO LINKSTATION AND KUROBOX EQUIPMENT TO BE DESTROYED.

DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY

THE DEVELOPER SECTION OF NAS-CENTRAL.ORG COMMUNITY DOWNLOADS AND SOFTWARE WITHIN ARE PROVIDED TO YOU "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.  NAS-CENTRAL.ORG MAKES NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, ORAL OR WRITTEN, RELATING TO THE SITE OR SOFTWARE WITHIN.  NAS-CENTRAL.ORG AND IT'S COMMUNITY TEAM DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING, BUT WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS, MERCHANTABILITY, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

LIMITATION OF LIABILITY

TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, NAS-CENTRAL.ORG AND IT'S COMMUNITY TEAM SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY CLAIMING THROUGH YOU FOR ANY DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE, SITE, OR FORUMS.  IN NO EVENT SHALL NAS-CENTRAL.ORG OR NAS-CENTRAL.ORG COMMUNITY MEMBERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY INDIRECT, EXTRAORDINARY, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING LOSS OF DATA, REVENUE, PROFITS, USE OR OTHER ECONOMIC ADVANTAGE) HOWEVER ARISING, WHETHER FOR BREACH OR IN TORT, EVEN IF NAS-CENTRAL.ORG OR IT'S COMMUNITY TEAM HAVE BEEN PREVIOUSLY ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

NAS-CENTRAL.ORG AND THE NAS-CENTRAL.ORG COMMUNITY TEAM ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN THE INFORMATION OR SOFTWARE OR OTHER DOCUMENTS WHICH ARE REFERENCED BY OR LINKED TO THE SITE.

Terms and Conditions (Forum Version 1.2)
Code:
TERMS AND CONDITIONS

Acceptance of Disclaimer

You must accept all terms and conditions and must fully understand all disclaimers before you may download or
 use the software and/or documentation within the developer section of nas-central.org community downloads.

Limited License:

All software and documentation within the developer section of the nas-central.org community downloads are provided freely.  Download and/or use of such software and documentation implies that you agree, accept, and fully understand all terms, conditions, disclaimers.

Terms of Use:
1)   You may not distribute to any usernames or passwords given to you for access to the developer section of nas-central.org community downloads without expressed permission from an administrator or moderator from the nas-central.org community team.  Distribution includes, but is not limited to:
  a)   Sharing any usernames and/or passwords with persons not belonging to the Beta Testers Group.
  b)   Posting usernames and/or passwords within the forums.
  c)   Posting usernames and/or passwords within personal websites, blogs, emails, etc.

Any Beta Testers Group member caught distributing usernames and/or passwords will have their beta testing privileges revoked.

2)   You may not ask for technical support in the form of private messages, emails, or forum postings unless:
  a)   You have searched the forums and nas-central.org BugTracker for similar issues and did not find an answer, and
  b)   You have attempted to fix the problem yourself, and
  c)   You have mentioned the issue in the nas-central.org BugTracker.

3)   You are free to post comments in the forums about any software or documentation within the developer section of nas-central.org community downloads.  Comments may not allowed include:
  a)   Technical support questions unless you have satisfied the requirements for technical support in term #2.
  b)   Repeated support questions.

4)   You may not move or copy any software within the developer section of nas-central.org community downloads, in part or whole, to any other location of nas-central.org without permission from an administrator or moderator.

5)   You are prohibited from posting links to mirrored content from the developer section of nas-central.org in the nas-central.org forums and/or wiki.

6)   You may not violate the nas-central.org forum rules.

7)   You may not insist, harass, threaten, or bribe any member to fix any equipment, yours or third-party, or software issues relating to the developer section of nas-central.org community downloads.

Support and Indemnification:

You agree and understand that use of any software or documentation within the developer section may cause your Buffalo Linkstation or Kurobox to become inoperable.  Should your Buffalo Linkstation or Kurobox become inoperable, the nas-central.org Community Team may attempt to fix your equipment, either physically or via Internet support, but are not required to bring any equipment back to its prior operable condition.  If the nas-central.org Community Team decides to terminate attempts to fix your equipment, you agree not to commence any legal litigation against nas-central.org, any nas-central.org community member, administrator, moderator, or beta tester in any jurisdiction.

All software within the developer section of nas-central.org community downloads is subject to further terms of the GNU General Public License.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

jonli447 wrote:
...Should your Buffalo Linkstation or Kurobox become inop erable, the nas-central.org Community Team will attempt to fix your equipment...

I suggest you change WILL to MAY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

ah good catch, and will do. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know why the pretext version looks so goofy. I suggest that people either download the documents or read the wiki as those are more readable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:11 pm 
Betatester

jonli447 wrote:
4) You may not distribute any software within the developer section of nas-central.org community download s, in part or whole, to other persons unless they are a nas-central.org administrator, moderator, or deve l

I appreciate the intent behind this, and don't want to start a war :) , but is this gpl compliant. I'm sure someone will ask sooner or later.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

emergant wrote:
I appreciate the intent behind this, and don't want to start a war , but

That's actually okay because the source code of GPL protected software is still available. Anyone can get the code and do as they wish with it. They are just restricted from distrubiting the stuff in the DEVELOPMENT section without permission.

Look at dd-wrt's special version's policy and you'll see what I mean. Their special versions still use opensource software, but users are restricted from sharing the software (that's where I got the idea).

So, I'm pretty sure we're okay.:)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

I suppose if we want to be even more GPL compliant, we can offer the source code on demand. Or we can provide the list of opensource software that was used. Either way, the terms and conditions don't inhibit any person from receiving the code if they wish.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

hmm. in my personal opinion we could even delete that point...
or we could replace this with an appeal not to distribute it....

anyone can do anything with it if he wants to.

REMEMBER:
we are protecting some downloads for only one reason - we want to protect users & their boxes.

we just want to make sure that something does not get a normal user into severe troubles...this will increase quality.

if there is a beta tester that really knows what he is doing then he should be allowed to make a tarball or anything else that fixes a problem of a specific user available....especially when no mod is around.

some beta testers will be on the same level as the admins/moderators.....

beta testers are very important for us. we cannot live without them. we cannot develop without them.

of course we do our best to fix their boxes as well. nothing will change....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

mindbender wrote:
hmm. in my personal opinion we could even delete that point...
or we could replace this with an appeal not to distribute it....

Ok, I'll revise the terms. I need to think of something creative though (lawyer skills at work).

I did ask for opinions on the terms though, so it's definately open to revision from the entire community. Nothing is set in stone.

IMHO, I don't want to noobs installing the beta software and getting into trouble. That was the whole point of creating the separate section. If we don't restrict distribution or provide an incentive not to, I'm sure we'll find that noobs are finding ways to install the beta software (actually, I'd call it alpha, not beta) and we'll be back at square one.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:21 pm 
Betatester

jonli447 wrote:
I suppose if we want to be even more GPL compliant, we can offer the source code on demand. Or we can provide the list of opensource software that was used. Either way, the terms and conditions don't inhibit any person from receiving the code if they wish.

Fair enough. I just thought I'd pose the question. I actually thought of the whole Sveasoft thing when I read it. I know they charge, but they also ask that their devel branch is not distributed. I thought it had made waves. I'm no expert by any means.

Personally I agree with Mindbender, I think the disclaimer and terms make it clear what the dev section is for and what the risks are without that particular clause. However I can personally live with it either way.

Perhaps other devs/moderators will have an opinion?

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:30 pm 
Betatester

Well I suppose its ultimately an issue of good will and understanding :). The main thing is that people who use it should fully undersand what they are getting into.

Maybe a brief section explaining why this is unlike other beta software, ie its a headless box and can be difficult to recover. Particularly on some of the boxes where more of the OS is in flash.

Mark.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

emergant wrote:
Maybe a brief section explaining why this is unlike other beta software, ie its a headless box and can be difficult to recover. Particularly on some of the boxes where more of the OS is in flash.

There is a warning in the wiki, but obviously not everyone will read it. Not everyone reads the READMES which is what caused the problem in the first place.
emergant wrote:
Well I suppose its ultimately an issue of good will and understanding .

That's exactly the issue. We only created the seperate are for regular protection. lb_worm and I were beginning to feel unconfortable as people we loosing access to their boxes completely. The darn boxes are expensive...

The second reason is that everyone seemed to be installing and didn't know what they were getting themselves into. The forum was flooded with repeat support questions. Though we want to help everyone, it slowed the development process. We just thought basically, if you don't know what you're doing...don't install the "test" software and wait for the official releases. But, you know, people are always wanting the bleeding edge software (the ambition isn't bad...it's just dangerous).

Again, I'm open to suggestions on how to resolve this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe the separate forum will help with this idea of understanding. It should be clearer to people that the software described in the forum should be only tested by experienced users.

Also, I think we should correct the terms here and call the software in the development section "ALPHA". I think all the software in the regular download sections are still BETAS.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

emergant wrote:
I actually thought of the whole Sveasoft thing when I read it. I know they charge, but they also ask that their devel branch is not distributed. I thought it had made waves.

my friends + me own about 7 wrt54g(l)`s....all loaded with dd-wrt. so i know the story.
emergant wrote:
Well I suppose its ultimately an issue of good will and understanding . The main thing is that people who use it should fully understand what they are getting into.

exactly :)...thats it all about.

we will tell anyone who wants to know how something was done the story anyway. sources will always be open...thats the way the community works at all.

the only problem are alpha-builds that are easy to install but get you into troubles.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:46 pm 
Site Admin

jonli447 wrote:
Also, I think we should correct the terms here and call the software in the development section "ALPHA". I think all the software in the regular download sections are still BETAS.

full ACK!