Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:12 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:48 pm 
Site Admin

mindbender wrote:
full ACK!

??? Ok, I thought OpenLink, FreeLink were still called BETAS...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:30 am 
Site Admin

jonli447 wrote:
??? Ok, I thought OpenLink, FreeLink were still called BETAS...

well...they are.

freelink is more a candidate for getting final...but only with avr_Evtd/micro_evtd included.

openlink will become a final version when the complete distribution was built from scratch.
on the other side the openlinks work very well...

Clarification regarding protected development section in the downloadsection
we only want to protect users from doing something nasty to their box without having a chance to fix it. if you are comfortable with linux OR if you are adventurous then ask for becoming a semi-alpha/beta tester.

even if you are no beta tester and you think that you want to try something just4fun which is worked on at the moment then ask for it and most likely you will get it.

it is important that everyone understands that this action should be seen as the first step to produce higher quality and to protect linkstations for being bricked.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:05 am 
Site Admin

I only asked for a seperate developement section. This has started a 'cool' debate on semantics :) Well, I think jonli447's terms are quite to the point. We are not trying to hide anything (only keep it safe) and only have the members interests at heart.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:58 pm 
Betatester

lb_worm wrote:
I only asked for a seperate developement section. This has started a 'cool' debate on semantics Well, I think jonli447's terms are quite to the point. We are not trying to hide anything (only keep it safe) and only have the members interests at heart.

I absolutely understand this. I only wanted to pose the question as it would come up sooner or later. I think this thread sums things up clearly enough and will be easilly found in the forums.

Keep up the great work guys.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:47 pm 

jonli447 wrote:
Again, I'm open to suggestions on how to resolve this.

There is one quite ugly way to keep everything completely open and resolve this. You can password protect archives of the alpha distributions and just distribute the necessary password by PM. Although maybe alot of this is overkill.

As far as MiniBB goes, I do not think it is possible to define groups and specify access restrictions on that basis, only possible to specify access by registered vs anonymous users.

LinkStation HG *250 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Freelink
Kuro HG *750 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Debian Squeeze
Kuro HD *60 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Debian Squeeze (For Sale)
KuroPro *2TB Debian Lenny Armel- Kernel 2.6.26
KuroPro *1TB Debian Lenny Armel- Kernel 2.6.25.6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

Shocked Sounds 'orrible.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:51 pm 

lb_worm wrote:
Sounds 'orrible.

yeah, I think so. MiniBB doesn't allow any sort of group based restrictions but Mediawiki has an extension that will let you define groups and group access (maybe just stating the obvious)
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Group_Based_Access_Control_Extension

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

That will give someone a headache moving over to another BB. Maybe phpbb would be a nice move? What does powweb offer support wise (save me looking)?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:57 pm 

lb_worm wrote:
That will give someone a headache moving over to another BB.

no, what I mean is to use the WIKI software rather than the forum software to define groups for the purpose of restricting contents. But if indeed you wanted a restricted forum, by group, you'd have to use a different forum software. :( maybe overkill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

It maybe a need? I would remove the Beta test/coding talk from those topics from other users. Maybe once the rush on the LS-GL has settled down we will not have these issues. Just play it by ear for the time being.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:30 pm 
Betatester

-----
4) You may not distribute any software within the developer section of nas-central.org community download
s, in part or whole, to other persons unless they are a nas-central.org administrator, moderator, or deve
l
oper.
-----

I don't think this goes well together with the GPL license. It might be OK to say that you may not distribute the software on the community download section of nas-central.org, because you may limit wat content you want on this autoritative site. I people wants to mirror this on their own site, then they should be free to do so. We shouldn't make as bad interpretation og the GPL here at Sveasoft did for the WRT54G. So don't limit which persons you may distribute to. Just keep your non-developer site clean from alpha/beta quality code. Make a new sentence that states that administrators, moderators and developers may distribute the software on the open part of linkstation.net when they feel it's mature enough.

Btw. I expect to start hacking on LS-PRO as soon as I get one. I can't use it as it is, as I dont have Microsoft Windows on any computer in my home. I want nfs and a very resent kernel, so I can install an USB2 DVB-T tuner and a mythbackend on top of a arm based Debian installation. This should work well together with my Hauppauge MediaMVP with the www.mvpmc.org firmware on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Andreas Bach Aaen wrote:
Make a new sentence that states that administrators, moderators and developers may distribute the software on the open part of linkstation.net when they feel it's mature enough.

Well, that is inevitable that mature code will get moved.

Hmmm, though I think it's still fine not prohib distributing alpha code on mirrors, I suppose that restriction won't be as important.

I'll probably remove that restriction and see what happens. If we find out that newbies are destroying their boxes with alpha code, then we're back at square one.

I'd like to hear some more opinions on what to do with the situation. After a few more days of input, I will discuss with the other mods what to do if there is no general consensus.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, I removed the not distributing term and changed it to prohibiting users from moving content from the developer section to any other section of nas-central.org without permission. Also links of mirrored content from the developer section is prohibited. The GPL cannot restrict that.

Hopefully you guys find this revision more fair, but also good enough to protect newbies.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:49 pm 
Betatester

Seems fine to me

Thanks

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:10 pm 
Betatester

jonli447 wrote:
Ok, I removed the not distributing term and changed it to prohibiting users from moving content from the developer section to any other section of nas-central.org without permission. Also links of mirrored content from the developer section is prohibited. The GPL cannot restrict that.

Hopefully you guys find this revision more fair, but also good enough to protect newbies.

This seems fine for me. :)
We keep the non protected parts of nas-central.org free from code and links to code that are dangerous in the hands of newbies. We won't protect newbies from downloading unfinished GPL licenced code from obscure parts of the Internet.